With many families leaving for warmer destinations in the next three weeks I decided to tackle the plane snack dilemma. I am not sure if it is just my son, but when we travel his stomach is a never-ending empty pit! It does not matter if we are on a plane or road tripping he is continuously hungry when we travel. We all know the key to a successful trip is to keep children occupied and happy, and this can be accomplished with some good snacks, new colouring book and a movie. Here are some easy and portable ideas for travel with kids.
- Granola bars, we especially like Lara bars or you could make your own.
- Granola bites, these small one bite balls are great for kids. I buy Made Good as they are lunchbox friendly.
- Snack or trail mix, purchased or homemade both work very well. For an easy homemade mix add: Cheerios, Chex, cheddar fish or bunnies, raisins or dried cranberries, pretzels and chocolate chips or m&m’s.
- Applesauce, the easiest travel kinds are the ones in the squeeze pouch.
- Mini muffins, if you have a stash in your freezer these are great for taking on trips.
- Sliced apples or other sliced fruit.
- Cheese string or Babybel cheese.
- Wraps, I usually pack a peanut butter and jam wrap for my son, it keeps well and easy to eat on the-go.
- Gum and a small bag of gummy candies. This always makes their eyes light up when they get the have two treats during travel, and may have the ability to calm an upset child!