Meal updates from last week:
The only new recipe to us from last week was the Thai salad. It was delicious, and made even easier because I used a cooked chicken. I did not get a chance to try out the maple grilled chicken sandwiches, but I have them on my list of ‘to try’ meals for the summer. I did have the acai bowl this week and I enjoyed something different for breakfast.
This week we will be eating in Sunday-Thursday. We are celebrating Father’s Day with family and my mom is cooking a turkey. I am bring these roasted carrots. It is a busy week with soccer ending, a retirement party, a grand opening to go to and the last full week of school, so I chose recipes that are fast and easy to prepare.
- BBQ pizza, I will be using store-bought dough, for the kids pasta sauce ham and cheese. For the adults, pesto, salami, cheese topped with fresh arugula from the garden. We will eat these with some raw veggies.
- Grilled sweet and sour turkey kebabs from @nutmegnanny we will eat these with some steamed brown rice.
- Rotini with sausage and peppers. I will take some Italian sausage, remove it from the casing and crumble it. As it cooks I will add some diced red peppers and then a jar of organic pasta sauce. I will serve this over cooked rotini with a side caesar salad.
- Pulled chicken sandwiches with apple slaw from @closetcooking on the side we will have our most favourite waffles fries!
I made some protein balls last week and we shockingly still have some left. See my previous post for a variety of protein ball recipes. I found an interesting recipe for zucchini muffins that I am going to try. There is a secret ingredient in these muffins, make sure you check them out! Breakfast this week will be a mixture of cold and warm oats as well as some acai bowls. If you follow me on Instagram you will know we ate waffles for Father’s Day, find the best waffle recipe here. Print your Dinner List 17 before you head to the grocery store.
Happy Father’s Day,
In the past I have posted many different recipes for protein balls. They are a huge hit in my house, easy to eat on the go, and light enough to give your kids before dinner time. I am going to share with you all the recipes that I have tried, as well as a recipe adaptation that I made earlier this week. All recipes can be made gluten-free by using certified gluten-free oats. To make them lunch box friendly use seed butter instead of nut butter.
Updates from last week:
Best recipes from last week were the pork po’boys and the antipasto salad. My kids loved the pork po’boys, mine turned out more like pork patties but the flavour was great. The salad lived up to my expectations, I served it topped with grilled chicken. A perfect summertime meal.
This week we will be eating at home Sunday-Thursday. Tonight we ate with family and had elk burgers, salad and baked beans. If you have never had elk before then you need to give it a try. It does not have a strong flavour at all, and the meat is very lean. It makes great burgers!
It is rewind week, meaning I will be making recipes that I have posted before.
- Thai chicken salad with ginger lime dressing from @wendypolisi this is the only recipe this week that I have never tried. Instead of cooking the chicken I am going to buy a cooked one from the store. No oven cooking tonight!
- sloppy joe tacos from @gimmesomeoven my son loves these tacos. I also like to eat these over a bed of shredded head lettuce.
- Thai chicken wild rice soup from @denise_sweetpeasandsaffron I cannot say enough about this soup, it is amazing!
- Chicken fajita cheeseburgers from @iowagirleats the last time I made these they were a hit. We will have these with a veggie platter and some Alexia’s waffle fries.
- I don’t really have a plan for dinner tonight, but I was thinking of pizza on the grill. If I still have a lot of energy to cook then I’m going to try these.
Although I’m still obsessed with the blueberry muffin oats I have also been having hot oatmeal for breakfast as well. Last week I made a big batch of buckwheat pancakes for the kids. They ate them every morning last week, here is the mix that we use. I love eating acai bowls when we are in California and Hawaii, but I have never made them at home. I found this recipe and think that I will give it a try. Rhubarb and strawberries are plentiful right now, so I think that they deserve to be made into a dessert! Don’t forget to print Dinner List 16
Heading into the summer months it is nice to make a meal that doesn’t involve turning on the stove or oven. Enter the dinner salad. Now, you may be thinking that greens will not make you feel full or even satisfied, but I beg to differ. Topping your salad with a protein, either chicken, fish, tofu or cheese will turn your usual lunch meal into dinner. I find feeding children salad, or maybe just lettuce very challenging. My son still will not eat lettuce. He will however eat all of the salad components, just on a plate minus the greens. Below I am sharing some of my favourite dinner salad recipes:
Highlights from last week:
The rosemary chicken salad and chicken corn burgers were the best from last week. The kids especially liked the burgers. My most favourite recipe from last week was the blueberry muffin overnight oats, I am obsessed with them, and have eaten them for breakfast all week! Head to fitfoodiefinds.com to get the recipe.
We will be eating at home Sunday-Friday, but are heading out for dinner on Wednesday night to celebrate some family anniversaries. The weather is going to continue to cooperate, which means I will be out using the grill.
- Tonight is usually a family meal, but there are no plans yet for dinner. I will post my Sunday dinner recipe on Instagram.
- Thai basil turkey bowls from @lexiscleankitchen this is a new to me recipe. I will be serving mine on brown rice instead of the cauliflower rice. It says to use coconut aminos, this is an ingredient that I am unfamiliar with. I will have a look for it tomorrow and let you know.
- Spicy pork po’boys from @foodandwine this is another new recipe, we will eat these sandwiches with coleslaw.
- BBQ chicken served with antipasto salad from @foodandwine I am so excited about this salad, I had to make this recipe after seeing the pictures. My kids will not eat this salad, but they will eat a deconstructed version of it.
- Persian turkey kofta kebabs from @skinnytaste we will eat this with a Greek salad and pita bread. If I have time I will make some tzatziki.
This week for breakfast I will continue my love for blueberry muffin overnight oats. My kids are still asking for the Nature’s Path cinnamon waffles. I have some bananas that need to be used so I think I will give this bread a try. Last Friday was National doughnut day, I haven’t used my doughnut pan in a very long time and think I need to make this recipe again. I came across a recipe for no churn ice cream it looks amazing! Make your weekly grocery shop easier by taking Dinner List 15
This past weekend I hosted my first make and take evening. What you may ask is make and take? It is another name for meal prepping. I had four girlfriends over to prepare three dinners and one snack. All meals were freezer friendly, cooking directions were either oven baked or crock pot. We began by having some grilled flat bread, veggies, fruit and a glass of wine. Then, I divided the girls into two groups and we tackled the recipes. My job was to find recipes, grocery shop, facilitate cooking and do the dishes. One group used the stove while the other group worked on non cooked recipes. Once done they switched stations. We ended the night making the snack together. Two hours later the ladies left with three delicious family friendly meals, and a snack that they could have for breakfast or give their kids after school. I was so pleased with how the night went, there was lots of laughs and strangers became friends. I am hoping to host another make and take very soon! If you were to host a make and take what recipes would you use? Let me know by posting on the blog.
Meal updates from last week:
Highlight meals from last week were the Greek pasta salad, chicken fajita burgers and the vegan soup. The fajita burgers were my favourite, I had mine without a bun, but to be honest you didn’t really need one with all of the other ingredients. We ate the soup for three days and it kept getting better with each day. I made a slight change to the soup, I decreased the amount of stock by half and added a can of coconut milk. I also added two more tablespoons of peanut butter.
This week we will be eating at home Sunday-Thursday, I will be out for dinner Friday and I do not have a dinner plan for Saturday. For tonight’s dinner we ate the Greek chicken with olives, feta and tomatoes. I shared this recipe last week, it was so delicious that we had to have it again! We ate this on a bed of romaine with some fresh fruit.
For breakfast this week I am going to try a couple new overnight oat recipes. This PB & J oat recipe comes from the people at Quaker. And please tell me who doesn’t love PB &J?! I am also liking the flavour combination in this blueberry muffin oat recipe. If you haven’t ever been to fitfoodiefinds.com then you must check out her site, there are tons of great oat recipes! I will let you know how they both taste. We were at brunch on Sunday and were served these, they were delicious. The blackberries are in abundance right now, so I am going to give these a try.
I am sorry to say that there is not a shopping list this week as this weekend was extremely busy. One of the reasons for this, was that I was hosting my very first make and take. In short, I invited some friends to my house to make freezer meals and take them home with them. I will share more on this exciting evening later in the week.
Meal updates from last week:
Last week’s best meals were both from @cookinglight. The mini meatball soup was amazing, as was the pulled chicken with slaw. I would highly recommend giving both a try. My kids also devoured the mini pancake muffins. My son dipped his in maple syrup and my daughter just ate them plain. I gave then a try warmed with a small smear of peanut butter.
This week we will be eating in Monday-Thursday. The weather looks lovely until mid-week, so that means we will be grilling!
- Salmon on the grill, seasoned with a little salt and pepper. I am going to serve this with greek tzatziki pasta salad from @alyssa_therecipecritic I love all of the ingredients in this salad.
- BBQ porktenderloin from janetandgreta.com I will serve this with brown rice and grilled asparagus. If you have never been to their website or seen their cookbooks then you must go now!
- Chicken fajita burgers from @iowagirleats we will have these with a side salad and some waffle fries.
- Ginger peanut soup from a vegan cookbook. This soup is simply amazing! I puree half of the soup and then add it to the non-pureed. I serve it with warmed naan bread.
This week is a short one as Monday is a holiday. I haven’t made a definite plan for breakfast or snack this week. I really like the sounds of this one the flavour combinations are on point. I haven’t made protein balls forever, so I may go back to our household favourite.
Last night we stayed in for dinner, the weather was lovely and we ate outside. We were looking for an easy recipe and we found a great one! We served our chicken over romaine, it was filling and delicious. Make this recipe tonight!
Enjoy your week and don’t forget your Dinner List 14
Happy Mother’s Day to all of the amazing Mothers!
Meal updates from last week:
The chicken stir fry was amazing! So much flavour and very easy to make. We also loved the BBQ chicken salad. As I posted on Instagram (@three_plates_full) I substituted brown rice for the quinoa, pinto beans for black and added avocado on top. We also ate beef tacos on Saturday night, I topped it with a super simple corn and avocado salsa. Grill two ears of corn and then cut the kernels off. In a bowl add the grilled corn, diced avocado (1), one diced jalapeño (if you want a milder flavour then leave out the seeds), the juice of half a lime, corse salt and two tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro. Mix carefully and add to the top of your tacos. You could also double the recipe and serve with tortilla chips for an easy Mexican appetizer.
This week we will be having sushi for Mother’s Day, and then eating at home Monday-Thursday. For the long weekend I am not sure what we have planned. One of the meals for the week will be meatless, we will see how this works with the kids?!
- Roasted veggie grain bowl from joyfulhealthyeats.com my children are not huge fans of quinoa so I am going to be making both brown rice and quinoa.
- Pineapple BBQ chicken with roasted potatoes and asparagus. I saw a short video posted where chicken was seasoned with salt and pepper and then brushed with BBQ sauce. It was baked in the oven and then topped with pineapple. I am going to bake the chicken and grill the pineapple. This brings out the flavour of the fruit. This is a similar idea to this recipe.
- Mini meatball minestrone from @cookinglight I will serve this with crusty bread. I am not going to use the chard but instead spinach.
- Pulled BBQ chicken and coleslaw sandwiches from @cookinglight we will eat this with Alexia’s waffle fries and brown beans.
For breakfast this week I’m going to make these pancake mini muffins. My kids have also been eating a lot of these.. I am undecided about my snack recipe for the week, and like last week I will post my snack on Instagram. Heading to the grocery store? Make sure to print Dinner List 13
Happy Mother’s Day and happy cooking,
Updates from last week:
All meals from last week were well received. The soup as I have said before was amazing! Classy chicken is a house favourite as well as the chicken caesar burgers. The frittata was a quick and easy meal, but not as filling as I had hoped. We loved the pork tenderloin, the sauce was delicious. I did not end up making sausage and peppers as you saw on my Instagram post, instead we did nachos on the grill. I wasn’t sure how they were going to turn out, but they ended up having a really great smoky flavour.
This week we will be eating at home Monday-Friday. We have soccer twice this week, so I am trying to choose some easy to make recipes so that we can eat and be out the door in good time.
- Chicken stir-fry with peanut sauce from @cookinglight this recipe has all of the flavours that I love.
- Mini vegetable enchilada stacks from @iowagirleats this is a new recipe for me, I will serve this with a side salad.
- We are going to have pizza cooked on the BBQ. We invested in a hot plate for our grill last summer and it was a great decision. We use it to cook veggies and pizza. I am going to do cheese for the kids and meat with veggies for the adults. Find a similar hot plate here.
- BBQ chicken quinoa salad from @iowagirleats this is another new recipe for me. As my son doesn’t love quinoa I will serve this with brown rice.
- I am going to bbq sausage and serve it with this strawberry-chicken salad minus the chicken. This is a salad that I have shared before and it is outstanding. Take advantage of the in-season strawberries!
For breakfast this week we will be having organic cinnamon waffles from Nature’s Path. I like to serve these topped with nut butter and fruit. I made the grain-free granola last week and we gobbled it up! I am going to make another batch this week. See my post from last week for the recipe. I don’t have plans for a snack this week. When I decide I will share it via Instagram. Find the recipe for the triple berry banana bread here. Print Dinner List 12 instead of writing your own!