Meal updates from last week:
Of all the meals from last week, the chicken enchilada roll-ups were by far the best. Everyone loved them! We ate the chicken with a cilantro lime brown rice that was covered with the warm enchilada sauce. Simply delicious. I really liked the teriyaki burgers, but my son wasn’t a huge fan of the sauce. Next time I would use less soy as I found them a little too salty.
This week we are eating at home Sunday-Thursday. We will probably do take-out on Friday. The weather is going to change drastically this week, so I am going to pull out the slow cooker. It is also my husband’s Birthday, we will be celebrating at home on Tuesday and then heading out for a date on Saturday.
- Sloppy joe stuffed peppers from @ayeshacurry I saw this recipe on the Food Network and had to give it a try. I will be making half in peppers and serving the rest on buns. As an appetizer during football this afternoon I will be making her cauliflower hot wings. I know that this may sound strange but they look so good! I will make this dip to go with it. We will eat the zucchini cookies from yesterday for dessert.
- BLT salad with buttermilk dressing from @marthastewart this is a household favourite.
- We are celebrating my husband’s Birthday and he wanted steak and potatoes on the menu. I bought tenderloin that I will marinate in soy, Italian dressing and lemon. This tenderizes the meat and makes it so flavourful. On the side we will be having mashed potatoes, roasted beets and a green salad. For dessert he wants to go to our favourite local ice cream shop. If you are ever in the Calgary area Village Ice Cream is a must!
- Tortellini soup from @iowagirleats I make a version of her recipe, but mine is much easier as I use an organic store bought tomato soup. I have raved about this soup before, you can find it in most major grocery stores. I heat the soup with the cheese tortellini inside and then top with parmesan when it is ready to serve. We will have a caesar salad on the side.
- Slow cooker lemon garlic chicken from number2pencil.com depending on how I am feeling I add the lemon and garlic to the cooker, or sometimes I leave it out. If I leave it out then I spread some butter over the chicken and then sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. When the chicken is cooked I use the juices to make a gravy. It makes really good gravy. We will eat this with roasted garden carrots and potatoes.
If you follow me on Instagram you will know that I baked three times last week! I used zucchini from our garden to make muffins and cookies, and also used our past due bananas to make some loaf. For links to the recipes go to last week’s meal plan. If we decide not to do take-out on Friday then I am going to make this recipe that sounds amazing. Fall is in the air and I am beginning to think of pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin. What are your favourite pumpkin recipes?
Heading to the store? Don’t forget to print Dinner List 27