Meal updates from last week:
The only new recipe to us from last week was the Thai salad. It was delicious, and made even easier because I used a cooked chicken. I did not get a chance to try out the maple grilled chicken sandwiches, but I have them on my list of ‘to try’ meals for the summer. I did have the acai bowl this week and I enjoyed something different for breakfast.
This week we will be eating in Sunday-Thursday. We are celebrating Father’s Day with family and my mom is cooking a turkey. I am bring these roasted carrots. It is a busy week with soccer ending, a retirement party, a grand opening to go to and the last full week of school, so I chose recipes that are fast and easy to prepare.
- BBQ pizza, I will be using store-bought dough, for the kids pasta sauce ham and cheese. For the adults, pesto, salami, cheese topped with fresh arugula from the garden. We will eat these with some raw veggies.
- Grilled sweet and sour turkey kebabs from @nutmegnanny we will eat these with some steamed brown rice.
- Rotini with sausage and peppers. I will take some Italian sausage, remove it from the casing and crumble it. As it cooks I will add some diced red peppers and then a jar of organic pasta sauce. I will serve this over cooked rotini with a side caesar salad.
- Pulled chicken sandwiches with apple slaw from @closetcooking on the side we will have our most favourite waffles fries!
I made some protein balls last week and we shockingly still have some left. See my previous post for a variety of protein ball recipes. I found an interesting recipe for zucchini muffins that I am going to try. There is a secret ingredient in these muffins, make sure you check them out! Breakfast this week will be a mixture of cold and warm oats as well as some acai bowls. If you follow me on Instagram you will know we ate waffles for Father’s Day, find the best waffle recipe here. Print your Dinner List 17 before you head to the grocery store.
Happy Father’s Day,
Updates from last week:
Best recipes from last week were the pork po’boys and the antipasto salad. My kids loved the pork po’boys, mine turned out more like pork patties but the flavour was great. The salad lived up to my expectations, I served it topped with grilled chicken. A perfect summertime meal.
This week we will be eating at home Sunday-Thursday. Tonight we ate with family and had elk burgers, salad and baked beans. If you have never had elk before then you need to give it a try. It does not have a strong flavour at all, and the meat is very lean. It makes great burgers!
It is rewind week, meaning I will be making recipes that I have posted before.
- Thai chicken salad with ginger lime dressing from @wendypolisi this is the only recipe this week that I have never tried. Instead of cooking the chicken I am going to buy a cooked one from the store. No oven cooking tonight!
- sloppy joe tacos from @gimmesomeoven my son loves these tacos. I also like to eat these over a bed of shredded head lettuce.
- Thai chicken wild rice soup from @denise_sweetpeasandsaffron I cannot say enough about this soup, it is amazing!
- Chicken fajita cheeseburgers from @iowagirleats the last time I made these they were a hit. We will have these with a veggie platter and some Alexia’s waffle fries.
- I don’t really have a plan for dinner tonight, but I was thinking of pizza on the grill. If I still have a lot of energy to cook then I’m going to try these.
Although I’m still obsessed with the blueberry muffin oats I have also been having hot oatmeal for breakfast as well. Last week I made a big batch of buckwheat pancakes for the kids. They ate them every morning last week, here is the mix that we use. I love eating acai bowls when we are in California and Hawaii, but I have never made them at home. I found this recipe and think that I will give it a try. Rhubarb and strawberries are plentiful right now, so I think that they deserve to be made into a dessert! Don’t forget to print Dinner List 16
Highlights from last week:
The rosemary chicken salad and chicken corn burgers were the best from last week. The kids especially liked the burgers. My most favourite recipe from last week was the blueberry muffin overnight oats, I am obsessed with them, and have eaten them for breakfast all week! Head to fitfoodiefinds.com to get the recipe.
We will be eating at home Sunday-Friday, but are heading out for dinner on Wednesday night to celebrate some family anniversaries. The weather is going to continue to cooperate, which means I will be out using the grill.
- Tonight is usually a family meal, but there are no plans yet for dinner. I will post my Sunday dinner recipe on Instagram.
- Thai basil turkey bowls from @lexiscleankitchen this is a new to me recipe. I will be serving mine on brown rice instead of the cauliflower rice. It says to use coconut aminos, this is an ingredient that I am unfamiliar with. I will have a look for it tomorrow and let you know.
- Spicy pork po’boys from @foodandwine this is another new recipe, we will eat these sandwiches with coleslaw.
- BBQ chicken served with antipasto salad from @foodandwine I am so excited about this salad, I had to make this recipe after seeing the pictures. My kids will not eat this salad, but they will eat a deconstructed version of it.
- Persian turkey kofta kebabs from @skinnytaste we will eat this with a Greek salad and pita bread. If I have time I will make some tzatziki.
This week for breakfast I will continue my love for blueberry muffin overnight oats. My kids are still asking for the Nature’s Path cinnamon waffles. I have some bananas that need to be used so I think I will give this bread a try. Last Friday was National doughnut day, I haven’t used my doughnut pan in a very long time and think I need to make this recipe again. I came across a recipe for no churn ice cream it looks amazing! Make your weekly grocery shop easier by taking Dinner List 15
For those looking to enjoy something more than just green beer this Friday I have spent some time looking for some delicious recipes to serve for St. Patrick’s Day. From breakfast to dessert I have your day covered from beginning to end.
Corned beef hash from @bonappetite
Baked potato soup from @skinnytaste
Skillet Irish soda bread from @smittenkitchen
Beef and Guinness stew from @jamieoliver
Bangers and mash from @williamsonoma
Shepherd’s pie from @lifeinthelofthouse
Meat pie from @tasteofhome
Chocolate Guinness cake from @nigellalawson
Irish coffee cupcakes from @marthstewart
Lucky Charm bark from @sallysbaking
It seems that at least twice a month we have pancakes on the weekend. Although we do purchase a buckwheat pancake mix, our most favourite is banana pancakes. I have tried many different recipes for banana pancakes, but found one by Nigella Lawson that is amazing! The addition of buttermilk make them light and fluffy with just a hint of banana. In our house my son and husband top their pancakes with butter and maple syrup. For me, I enjoy them with fresh fruit and some greek yogurt. You can find the recipe for Nigella’s pancakes here